Rowena Morrill - The Art of Rowena



Year: 2000
Publisher: Paper Tiger
ISBN: 1855857782
Content: 112 pages with colour illustrations

Following up her first artbook from 1983, Rowena Morrill returned with this collection into the focus of fantasy art lovers. In this most comprehensive, up-to-date artbook she reveals through some of the most beautiful paintings, why she is considered the grand master of fantasy art, amongst Frank Frazetta, Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell and Ken Kelly. This list is no co-incidence: there are many similarities in style, themes and subjects regarding these artists, yet each and every one preserved something unique and unmistakable in her/his own body of work.

I would call Rowena´s style the most "renaissance-like". Golden, oily colors everywhere, classic settings and style. Being a self-taught artist, it seems to be quite a stretch to point out similarities with Rubens or Rembrandt, yet, the fine art qualities are undeniably there within these pages. Even Saddam Hussein had some of her paintings hanging around in his master bedroom...

The first time I´ve visited Amsterdam, back in 1992 I guess, I took my chance looking up an old comic store somewhere between the grachtens. And there I found it: my very own copy not only of Rowena´s artbook, but also a rare portfolio of hers. It was, trust me, more invigorating and satisfying, than any visit to the famous redlight-district could have been... And again, consider this: I was a healthy, 22 year old guy, for the first time in Amsterdam :)

So if you are curious now about Rowena, check out this Paper Tiger book, or her personal webpage over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment